Making a comparison between at least two options is one of the simplest methods anyone can use to make a decision. This process is known as comparative analysis. You will compare two options and use your knowledge to pick which option, based on the attributes. Which is more beneficial for you.
A comparative study needs to deal with independent factors. Variables that are controlled in one case are typically allowed to vary in the other case. And the two cases are being compared in comparative research. The examination of deviation in aspects that are influenced in a particular context is done by comparative analysis. This especially applies to aspects at the societal level.
Objective Of Comparative Analysis:
The two main objectives of comparative analysis are:
- An explanation for the cases’ observable similarities and differences
- Recognizing dependence of difference of information from two or more cases with a similar framework
Strengths Of Comparative Analysis:
Comparative analysis’s strength as a study technique lies in its capacity to inaugurate new illustrative factors. The permit fluctuation in factors that have unchanged values in the original target population. And to demonstrate that linkages are to some extent more universal than first believed.
Shortcomings Of Comparative Analysis:
Its shortcomings include the requirement for concepts to be comparable through similar cases. For instance, names like “environmental regulation” should bear uniform concepts to prevent us from comparing two entirely different things. Such as mangoes and grapes.
The inauguration of fresh factors also introduces unknown variation and the requirement that, as in other nonempirical studies, relies on “naturally occurring variation,” excludes various aspects of concern to the analyst.
Types Of Comparative Analysis:
Comparative analysis is widely distinguished into four types: individualizing, universalizing, variation-finding, and encompassing. These four types are described below:
Comparing “a few cases in order to appreciate the uniqueness of each case,” is individualizing comparison. This entails thoroughly defining the attributes or traits of each case being researched. This increases our expertise and provides the ability to analyze cases thoroughly. This approach uses comparison in a limited way; hence it cannot be claimed to be really comparable.
The purpose of a universalizing comparison is to show that an event has substantially identical behavior in all instances. In order to formulate necessary hypotheses with considerable generality and applicability, the universalizing comparison is used. It then provides concepts that clarify the events being analyzed. The growth of industrialism is an instance.
By comparing logical variation among events, variation-finding comparison strives to “establish a principle of variation in the nature or intensity of a phenomenon”. In other words, comparing several representations of a sole incident to notice reasonable differences among them. And also establish a standard for fluctuation in the vigor of that incident.
Encompassing comparison of two or more things entails “placing them at different points within the same system, and explaining their characteristics as a function of their diverse relationships to the system”. For instance, comparing the conduct of two toddlers based on their birthdates. And attributing the traits of rural villages to their various links with an adjacent metropolis or urban center.
Role Of Comparative Analysis in Research:
There are several justifications for performing a comparative analysis. Some of its vital functions in research are listed below:
- Comparative analysis is used to investigate a relationship that has been theoretically proposed. Which societal aspects constitute a crucial class of independent variables.
You are welcome to use PhD Dissertation Help as your help if you find yourself struggling with how to write a comparative analysis report.
- It determines if a relationship that has been found in a study in one community holds in another. The intention is to explicitly incorporate societal characteristics into the research design, or, to put it another way, to permit variation in variables in a particular society. These variables are parameters of the research design. The variables selected are a reflection of our theoretical understanding of the potential relationships between relevant dependent variables and societal characteristics.
- It also employed to determine whether or not a circumstance that is predetermined or established for one civilization is influential. After conducting a study in one society, one of the most frequent but frustrating experiences is coming up against a critic. Who claims that the conclusions are only applicable to the societies where the study was conducted.
Critique can disagree saying that the alliance was maintained for the political system was provincial instead of national, the finance system was ahead of development, or the religious personalities were the powerful circle of the community. Such criticisms are only valid if a theoretical connection between the proposed features and the relationship of interest can be made.
However, one should not be too quick to dismiss suggested theoretical mechanisms since, as science improves through the discovery of new theoretical links, what constitutes a theoretical link will inevitably alter over time.
- Furthermore, comparative analysis thoroughly analyzes a tiny sample of empirical subjects in order to understand the causal mechanisms underlying the similarities and differences that were noticed. You can either “work backward” to speculate if identical or distinct results are produced by identical or distinct causing factors, or you can “work forwards” from illustrations where similar circumstances would urge you to speculate the same outdot as backward work.
The comparative analysis comprises differing items against each other to observe their resemblances and distinctions. An organization can better comprehend an issue and develop solutions in response by conducting a comparative analysis while analyzing an idea, problem, theory, or question.
However, it is primarily utilized in business. A comparison analysis can offer data that crucial decisions when businesses decide to launch a marketing campaign or grow their organization. This analysis gathers multiple data sets to compare alternative options in order to make judgments that are advantageous to a firm and its customers. Learning about comparative analyses could be helpful if you or your company wants to make sure that your decision-making process is efficient.